Disclosure: Oriental Trading Company and ProWorld provided products to create these road trip bags. All opinions expressed within are my own and have not been influenced in any way.
If we are lucky, we will only be in the car together for 22 hours. EACH WAY. Our annual pilgrimage to the Florida Keys is the highlight of our year, and this trip we are adding on a trip to Disney (and an academic conference) as an added bonus.
I would consider my husband and I road trip experts. We learned long ago that stopping for extended periods of time makes it harder to get the kids back in the car. Thus rest stops are under 10 minutes to get gas and food as well as take a restroom break.
Road Trip Activities
We always create a bag of activities to entertain the kids on the long road trip. This year, we got these cute mesh drawstring bags from Oriental Trading, and I added designs in Siser Easyweed vinyl from Pro World on each boys’ bags with my Silhouette CAMEO to differentiate them. While my oldest got a soccer ball, middle got a skull and bones design, and the little got a car. Also, these bags will double as souvenir bags when we get to Disney!
Road Trip Activities for an 8 Year Old
Unfortunately, my 8 year old is probably my most difficult to entertain. As our first, he had two years of us all to himself, and sometimes that translates into him needing us to entertain him all the time. Thus, we try to give him road trip activities that match his interests.
1. Extreme Dot to Dot from Oriental Trading was a huge find. He is a number lover and some of these puzzles have up to 1400 dots! The bonus was that the whole book is sports puzzles!
2. Guiness Book of World Records 2017 – my son checked this book out of the library so often this year, I said to myself I should just buy it. So I did – on deep discount!
3. Snowman Peg Puzzle – I loved doing peg puzzles as a kid, and I show this on to my 8 yo and his has being focused on it since. What’s more fun than a little Christmas in July?
4. Pokémon Pocket Comics – a thick book filled with Pokémon? At least I know he will read it!
6. Funko Darth Vader Lanyard for pin trading at Disney.
8. Pull Back Truck for racing his brothers at our destination
9. A Puzzle Ball
11. In the Land of the Lawn Weenies by David Lubar is a funny summer read!
12. Personalized Travel Journal
13. Jawa Tsum Tsum
14. Presidents of the United States Workbook
14. An Emoji spinner that will keep my son busy for hours! He is obsessed with spinners and has been watching YouTube to learn all of the tricks. As a teacher, I like spinners as a calming device. I am unsure that they help with focus, but I have seen it help calm my kids when they are upset or anxious.
Road Trip Activity Bag for a 6 Year Old
1. Big Book of Pokémon is an awesome resource – with lists such as rarest cards, most valuable cards, etc.
2. Puzzle Ball – just slide out the different colored pieces to solve the puzzle. It is more challenging than it looks!
3. Color Counts – Animals for anyone who loves a good color by number. My middle son is obsessed with these!
4. Funko BB-8 Lanyard for Disney pin trading
7. Yellow Pull Back Truck for racing
9. Pokémon: The Rescue Mission – readable for beginning readers like my middle
10. Avengers Water Game
12. Personalized Travel Journal
Road Trip Activity Bag for a 3 Year Old
2. Boba Fett Lanyard for Pin Trading
3. Dory Keychain since he likes to decorate his bags
5. Finding Dory Water Game
Also, I grabbed blank zip pouches from Hobby Lobby and used my Silhouette CAMEO to add a Pokéball to the front. Inside, I slide half a pack of Crayola Twistables from Oriental Trading.
As you can see, Oriental Trading has tons of fun novelty toys and supplies to make you family’s time in the car this summer pass by more quickly. What types of items do you bring for the kids on a road trip?