I had purchased these wooden banner pieces from Pick Your Plum a few months ago in anticipation of a beach banner project. They were a whopping $3.95 for a pack of 6 (they also came in a mini version: 9 for $1.75):
I plan on redoing Little Guy’s room when he is ready for a big boy bed with a beachy-Keysy theme. I have been scouring marine supply stores to capture the look for less…to see my inspiration, follow my “M’s Big Boy Room” board on Pinterest and subscribe to my rss feed or FB page (buttons on right) so you don’t miss other projects for this room!
So, interested in how my version of the banner turned out? Here it is:
And up close (complete with scuffs and weathering):
To make your own beach banner:
(1) Paint five wooden banner pieces with a layer of white paint.
(2) Once dry, add 1 to 2 coats of blue paint (I used Bahama Blue by Americana).
(3) Paint lettering on your banner pieces (I used white paint).
(4) Allow paint to dry and then scuff it with sandpaper. Allow some of the white and the wood to show through.
(5) Thread with rope. I used twine…Thread through the top of the left hole and then loop through to make a knot. Continue for each hole.
(6) Hang and enjoy!