I’ve been LOVING the nautical bedrooms popping up in the summer catalogs this year. When I saw this Land of Nod Life Preserver pillow, I knew I had to have it for the new room. However, as my luck had it, by the time I got around to ordering it (I never order an item the first time I see it. I admire it for months to ensure I love it first), it was discontinued.
What’s a crafty mom to do? Make her own of course.
Here’s how I did it:
- I cut two large circles (traced from the bottom of a trash can) out of scraps of red fabric I had around the house.
- I found the center of the circles and traced/cut out a smaller circle in the middle.
- Using my Silhouette Cameo, I cut a stencil from Con-Tact Paper with the name of my favorite place to relax and unwind, and the zip code for my personal paradise. (I love my Silhouette – it makes my crafting life so easy).
- I mixed white acrylic paint with some fabric medium, peeled the back from the Con-Tact paper, adhered the Con-Tact paper to the fabric, and used the paint mixture to stencil the words on my fabric.
- After the paint dried, I flipped the fabric inside out and sewed with my sewing machine around the outside edge of the fabric. I flipped the fabric back to right-side out after doing this. I then used the sewing machine to sew 3/4 of the way around the donut hole in the middle of the fabric. I left enough room to insert my hand between the layers and stuff the pillow with pillow fluff. I then sewed the remaining gap by hand.
- Finally, I added some 1 1/2 inch strips of white canvas, handsewing them onto the finished pillow.
Note: After stumbling through making this pillow myself, I found that Carrie from Making Lemonade had created her own version for her son’s 1st birthday. Thought I’d link to it here so you could see another example of what you can do!