For five years, I hated my dining room. I have no idea why we even had a dining room, except that people said we “should” because “where would we eat if we had people over?”
Thing is, the room only fit 6 to 8 people, and we have frequent get togethers with a lot more than that. So, our dining room, which in no way whatsoever reflected our personal style, served as a clutter zone, where we threw all objects that didn’t have a place (and used as a serving table when people came over).
The brass light was the most epic clash against our eclectic personal style. It was a time warp in and of itself, transporting all who entered the room back to the 70’s – not far enough back in history to be cool again, but old enough that none of our friends had any recollection of the decade (since, if we did live any part of our lives in the 70’s, it was in diapers).
Finally exasperated, I had my husband pin the chain up when we decided to ditch the formal dining room. This way we could at least walk under the brass beast. In retrospect asking him was probably not my best decision, as he used ZIP TIES.
One day, after a trip to my favorite Ace Hardware and I returned home with a can of Rust-o-leum Brilliant Blue spray paint… I convinced my husband to cut the extra chains (and hide the extra wires), and went to work hanging a spray chamber made of plastic drop cloths. No more zip ties – hooray!
I unscrewed the ugly fake flame lights from the chandelier and covered the candle holders with painter’s tape. I also covered the ceiling around the mounting plate with plastic.
It was time to spray!
My husband convinced me halfway through the project not to use the drop cloth chamber and just have him hold up the sheeting as a spray guard.
Ask me about the sticky blue layer of paint that was on every inch of our dining room the next morning. Or don’t.
Lesson learned, use the spray chamber next time.
The same funky light at a big box store would have cost me $200 plus an electrician’s fees to hang it (because I don’t mess with electrical stuff). I finished this whole project for under $20 (including the new bulbs!)