Now that I am “baking” my third baby boy, I have learned what I like, and don’t like, in terms of baby products. Five years ago, when I was preparing for Baby #1, I was overwhelmed just walking into a baby store. I mean the Great Wall of Nipples and Pacifiers is enough to send any new parent (or poor soul looking for a baby shower gift) into pure panic. To be honest, the first time my husband and I walked into a big box store to register for Baby #1 – we got overstimulated and left.
Now I know what I want, what I like, and what products will make my life with baby easier. I call them luxuries because of course I do not “need” these items to raise a healthy and happy baby. However, they sure make my life with baby more comfortable, so I wanted to share them with you!
1. aden + anais Classic COTTON Muslin Swaddle Blankets – I was using these well before Will and Kate introduced Baby George to the world in his Jungle Jam themed A&A blanket. They are the softest blankets and are very easy to manipulate for swaddling little babies. I actually bring them to the hospital with me because I cannot stand the texture of the hospital swaddles. Both of my boys have attached themselves to their former swaddle blankets, so I will be buying a fresh set for Baby #3. While these blankets are a little pricy, they are well worth it, as I have not found anything even close to being similar in quality…Tip: you can buy bamboo muslin swaddles as well, but they are not as soft and gauzy as the cotton, in my opinion.
2. Douglas Sshlumpie Cuddle Toys – each of my boys has a Sshlumpie that has been their lovey since birth. My 4 yo has a Giraffe, while My 2 yo has a blue dog. I am thinking about the Frog or Horse for Baby #3! The best part about these stuffed animals are they are amazingly soft, wash well in the washer/dryer, and have no stuffing in the belly/arms/legs which makes it easier for little ones to cuddle.
3. Besides being outrageously cute and coming in dozens of designs, the Trumpette 6 Pair Socks Set was a must for each of my boys. These socks don’t “come off” all the time like other socks, and since they have little shoe designs, there is no need for actual “shoes” (which are useless until baby starts to walk, anyway).
4. The Joovy Caboose Stand On Tandem Stroller when we had our second, because it allowed our oldest to safely sit or stand on the back, while the baby sat in the front, “traditional”, stroller part. The Joovy caboose even accommodated my Graco baby seat for the first months of Baby #2’s life.
5. Call it indulgent, but we have 2 playyard/bassinets and I wouldn’t change it for anything. We use the full size Graco Pack ‘n Play downstairs as a changing table (and somewhere to safely put the baby away from the dog and his siblings when an emergency arise (i.e., you need to use the restroom!). In our bedroom, the baby sleeps in a smaller Graco Travel Lite Crib. The bassinet is the perfect size for a new baby and it does not take up a lot of room in our bedroom, which makes it perfect for middle of the night feedings!